There is no better time than now to implement self-care for your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing. During times of great challenge, we need to harness our self-care tools more than ever to ride the intense waves of emotion and energy that has been ripping through the world at an individual and collective level. Filling up your cup first is essential (and not selfish) to be able to run our businesses, look after children, homeschool, support others etc… otherwise, we run the risk of becoming completely depleted and burnt out.
My top tips for filling up your cup and taking care of your wellbeing at this time and going forwards are:
- Avoid Checking your Phone as soon as you Wake Up
In the information age, we are bombarded with information coming through on a daily basis and this can lead to overwhelm. So many people wake up to checking their phone, emails, messages, social media feed and news. Straight away you are giving your power away to what you’ve got to do, who’ve you got to respond to, seeking validation from how many likes you’ve got before you’ve taken care of your own energy. Add that in with checking the news going on in the world and you’ll start your day in a reactive and anxious state. Give yourself time and space in the morning for you first before checking your phone.
- Say NO
Your yes has no power until you say NO. Be discerning with how and who you spend your time with even if it’s online. If you don’t feel up to doing something, it’s ok to say no. I used to travel all over town meeting up with people who wanted to pick my brains. I’d go out of my way to meet them, exhausting myself travelling all over town. Know that your time and energy are the most valuable commodities, you cannot get your time back. Use it wisely, if something doesn’t feel aligned with you don’t do it. It’s ok to say no.
- Let Go of People-Pleasing
As hard as it may be to hear, not everyone is going to like you and that’s ok. In my 20’s I wanted to be liked by everyone and please everybody, saying yes to everything. People-pleasing is exhausting; do not waste your valuable life force energy doing it because not everyone is going to like you and not everyone is going to agree with your belief systems. You are enough and you don’t need to seek approval or validation from anyone else.
- Ground your Energy
We are bio-electrical beings and the Earth is an electrical planet. Negative ions from the Earth help to discharge positive ions from electromagnetic field exposure such as from WIFI, phones, computers, electrical appliances, WIFI devices etc. Take time to get out in nature and place your bare feet on the grass/ sand/ rocks for 30 minutes. This helps to harmonize and restore your body’s bio-electrical systems.
- Practice Presence
The most valuable gift you can give someone is your presence. Practice being fully present with people. Put your phone away when spending time with friends and loved ones and give someone your full attention than being distracted with the endless stream of notifications.
- Become more conscious of your thoughts
We have approximately 60-80,000 thoughts a day, most of which are disempowering and self-sabotaging. Thoughts are powerful. Thoughts create your reality. Start to become aware of your thoughts and ask yourself 3 questions;
a. Is this thought serving me?
b. Is this thought moving me forward?
c. Is this thought keeping me stuck and in fear?
If so, choose to choose again. Ensure you are talking and thinking about what you want rather than what you don’t want.
‘Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your unguarded thoughts. Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think’.-Buddha
- Dissipate stress through somatic practices
When a wild animal is chased and hunted by a predator but spared its life, it will shake to dissipate the stress chemicals and reset the nervous system. Move stress out of your body and reset through somatic practices such as shaking, breathwork, dancing and movement. Literally put on a tune and shake or dance it off in your living room. It feels sooo good.
- Engage in Unbound Play
This is so key, in a world where we are often doing to achieve rather than just being. Right brain activities enhance creativity and flow, whilst the left brain is to do with logic and rational thinking. Most people are left-brain dominant. Engage in an activity you can do freely just because you enjoy it such as artwork, drawing, mandalas, dancing, skating, see a comedy whatever you are drawn to. Play creates more flow and expansion in life.
- Francesca Blechner lives in London, she is a Holistic Health and Lifestyle Coach, founder of Wholistic Body Life and Author of ‘Self Care for Life in the City’. She specializes in working with burnt out Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders, helping them to build a strong foundation of health. Francesca started out in the Health & Fitness industry in 2001 as a Personal Trainer and ran her own business since 2005 within health clubs, therapy centres and had private home clients. Through her 20 years of experience in health and wellbeing, being an entrepreneur and experiencing burnout, she has honed and mastered her skill set to create her own unique, comprehensive program. An integrative system that builds a strong foundation of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. A combination of neuroscience, mindset, nutrition, movement, breathwork, coaching and postural work that have helped herself and her clients to thrive and have resilience in today’s fast-paced world. Her mission is to help those experiencing burnout to align mind, body and spirit and THRIVE, creating space to manifest more abundance in their life. Francesca has taught wellness retreats and events around the world. Over the years she has been the Fitness and Lifestyle Coach to hundreds of people from all walks of life including CEOs, members of the Saudi Royal family, celebrities, athletes, city professionals and new Mum’s. Helping them to live healthier, happier and more fulfilled lives. Francesca works with clients one-on-one or in group settings, also collaborating with brands and businesses. “My mission is to guide you to become the master of your health and yourself, I’ll walk alongside you on your journey of growth”. Connect with her here